Saturday, December 1, 2012

Always A Festival To Attend

One of my favorite things about Italy is that there always seems to be a festival to go to. When I first arrived and there were constant events in different piazza's I thought it was because of the time of year. The truth is Italy seems to love having a reason to have a festival. Since being here I have attended numerous wine, cheese, oil, craft, and food festivals throughout Florence and even into other Italian cities. It actually came to the point where I don't have time to go to each and every one! The great thing also is that all the products are simply amazing and authentic so even if you decided to buy a bottle of wine or some of the food you aren't spending a lot of money. In fact you spend barely anything at all which is really why you feel more determined to go.

I ventured outside of Florence to attend a few other festivals as well. I traveled to a nearby city Impruneta for their Stomping of the Grapes festival. It was beautiful. Several surrounding wineries put on elaborate parades and recitals to tell a story. The costumes were dazzling and most of all it was amazing to see how many people participated, men and women, old and young.

Of course my favorite festival so far would have to be the Euro Chocolate festival that was held in Perugia this year. Chocolate? large quantities? from all over the world? Yes please! The amount of stands and different companies was just breathtaking.  I know for a fact I wasn't even able to make it all the way around the festival since I was only there for a couple of hours. But the samples and the cool innovative ideas of not only flavors but how to decorate or make the chocolate presentable or even how to use it with other foods was incredible. I of course picked up a few souvenirs as well as gifts for friends and family back home (including 3 very lucky little puppies).

Currently I'm excited for the next festival I plan to attend which is the Christmas Market in the Dolomites (mountains). I love Christmas and going to a big Christmas market where there is actual snow sounds exactly like the experience I would love to have. I also have the Venetian Carnival to look forward to in February (masquerade masks... need I say more?) and the City of Love festival in Verona.

Regardless of the range in size of the numerous festivals to attend, they are all worth at least getting a look at. There is something unique in Italy that allows people from all over the city and even the world come together for a similar interest. It shows the ability of cultures to find a common interest and I think that is a beautiful thing.

Til next time!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment